What does it mean to be served with divorce papers in South Dakota?

Giving notice to the other spouse that a divorce case has been started is called "service" and is done by giving ("serving") copies of the Summons and Complaint. There are rules governing proper service: either the party must be served by law enforcement or a licensed process server, or the other party can sign an Acceptance of Service form to be filed with the court.

Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Estate Planning & Family Law Attorney