My husband is a resident of Brookings County. I am a resident of Minnehaha County. Where can our divorce action be filed?

Under South Dakota law, an action for divorce (or separate maintenance) may be started in the county of residence of either party, subject to the right of the defendant to have the place of trial changed to the county where the defendant resides.

Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Family Law and Estate Planning attorney helping families across South Dakota plan and protect their loved ones