My ex-spouse and I live in Harrisburg. We recently agreed to change the custody arrangement for our 12-year old son. We really don't want to pay a lawyer to go back to court and get the judge's approval. What impact would this custody change have on the South Dakota child support order?

Under South Dakota law, if the parents of a child have agreed to a change in the physical custody of the child without the court's approval, the parent who relinquished physical custody may be ordered to pay child support to the parent who gained physical custody of the child even though the custody order has not been modified to reflect the change in custody.

Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Family Law and Estate Planning attorney helping families across South Dakota plan and protect their loved ones