My ex-husband and I were divorced in Rapid City. We both now live in Sioux Falls. An issue has arisen regarding our divorce. Do we both have to go back to Rapid City to have this heard by a judge?

In South Dakota, a court may change the venue of trial or hearing in postjudgment divorce, paternity, or separate maintenance actions if:

             (1)      The parties no longer reside in the county where the action was decided; or

             (2)      The parties agree; or

             (3)      Convenience of witnesses or the ends of justice would be promoted by the change.
Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Family Law and Estate Planning attorney helping families across South Dakota plan and protect their loved ones