My ex-husband and I live in Sioux Falls and are considering a change in custody of our daughter. Will this have an effect on the child support payment I receive?

Possibly.  Under South Dakota law, if the parents of a child agree to a change in custody (even without the court's approval), the parent who relinquished custody may be ordered to pay child support to the parent who gained custody of the child (even though the custody order has not been modified to reflect the change in custody).


Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Family Law and Estate Planning attorney helping families across South Dakota plan and protect their loved ones