I live in Sioux Falls. My ex-spouse has not paid his South Dakota child support obligation for the last six months. Now, he wants to change the amount of his obligation. What can I do?

Under South Dakota law, any past due support payments are not subject to modification by a court or administrative entity of this state, except those accruing in any period in which there is pending a petition for modification of the support obligation, but only from the date that notice of hearing of the petition has been given to the obligee, the obligor, and any other parties having an interest in such matter.

Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Family Law and Estate Planning attorney helping families across South Dakota plan and protect their loved ones