The South Dakota Board of Education has several functions, including:
- Promulgating administrative rules to establish standards for the classification and accreditation of the state’s schools;
- Establishing standards for preparing certified personnel;
- Establishing procedures for determining a school district’s eligibility to receive state aid to education funding;
- Adopting policies and rules necessary to establish standards and procedures for career and technical education; and
- Establishing curriculum requirements for a recommended high school program for all public and nonpublic schools within the state.