Here are six steps to take after a South Dakota motorcycle accident:
Step #1 - Do not leave the scene of the accident.
Step #2 - Call South Dakota law enforcement/911 immediately. Tell them the accident location, number of persons injured, and number of vehicles involved. You must make a law enforcement report.
Step #3 - Obtain the following information (if possible):
- Other driver's name, address, telephone number, driver's license number, insurance information, and license plate number.
- Name, address, and telephone number of any witness.
- Law enforcement officer's name and department.
- Place of the accident, speed limit in the area, and road conditions.
- Photographs of the area and the vehicles involved.
Step #4 - Let law enforcement decide who caused the accident.
Step #5 - Contact your insurance company
Step #6 - Follow-up with a doctor and get medical treatment for any injuries.