I've just been appointed as Personal Representative of my father's estate in Sioux Falls. Can I hire an appraiser for his South Dakota probate proceeding?

Yes.  Under South Dakota law, a personal representative may employ a qualified and disinterested appraiser to assist in determining the fair market value as of the date of the decedent's death of any asset the value of which may not be readily ascertainable.