Can the South Dakota Department of Social Services make a claim against my father's estate?

Maybe.  Under South Dakota law, the Department of Social Services is able to receive personal property of a decedent by presenting evidence that the department has incurred a debt by paying for the medical assistance for nursing home or other medical institutional care on behalf of the decedent.