Scott is a recognized authority in state and federal legal matters. While serving in private legal practice and as Assistant Attorney General for the State of South Dakota, he has represented individuals, businesses, and government entities before state and federal trial courts, state and federal appellate courts, and state and federal regulatory agencies.
As Assistant Attorney General, Scott served as counsel for the State of South Dakota in many high-profile cases and his clients included the Governor's Office, the Attorney General's Office, the Secretary of State's Office, the Department of Education, the Department of Revenue and Regulation, the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources, and the South Dakota Commission on Gaming. Scott is also well-versed in the South Dakota legislative process, having coordinated legislative initiatives on behalf of the Attorney General's Office.
Scott is a highly sought-after author and speaker on legal and legislative topics for state agencies, constitutional offices, and professional organizations, including the South Dakota State Medical Association, the South Dakota Pharmacists Association, the South Dakota Association of County Commissioners, the South Dakota Association of County Officials, the South Dakota Municipal League, the South Dakota State's Attorney's Association, the Associated School Boards of South Dakota, and the School Administrators of South Dakota.
Scott is an adjunct professor at the University of South Dakota School of Law where he teaches the popular "Education and the Law" course. He is also the author of numerous legal publications on the topics of school law, estate planning, civil litigation, scientific evidence, and business law. Scott's book, The South Dakota School Law Deskbook, is considered the premier resource for every school administrator, school board member, and school attorney in the state. In January 2015, Scott was featured on the cover of Sioux Falls BizNOW Magazine.
Scott earned his Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, from Mount Marty College in Yankton. He earned his Juris Doctor from the University of South Dakota School of Law where he served on the Board of Editors for the South Dakota Law Review.
- The South Dakota School Law Deskbook (2017-2018 Supplement)
- Transgender Students in South Dakota's Public Schools - An Update (2017)
- 5 Lessons That a Business Owner Can Learn From the Chicago Cubs, Prairie Planning Magazine (Summer 2017)
- 6 Tips for a South Dakota School Board's Annual Meeting (2017)
- Cyberbullying 101 - 7 Questions for South Dakota's School Administrators (2017)
- South Dakota Supreme Court "OKs" Common Core Assessments (2017)
- 13 Facts Every South Dakota School Administrator Should Know About USERRA (2017)
- The ABCs of South Dakota's School Sentinel Program (2017)
- 11 Interesting Facts About the South Dakota High School Activities Association (2017)
- 5 Questions About a School Board's Authority Over School Grounds and Buildings (2017)
- Departments of Education and Justice Withdraw Transgender Guidance Letters (2017)
- South Dakota Public School Leaders and Title IX (2016)
- The South Dakota School Law Deskbook (2016)
- Editor - School Administrators of South Dakota - South Dakota School Law Notes (2014-present)
- The South Dakota Automobile Accident Handbook (2015)
- The South Dakota Motorcycle Accident Handbook (2015)
- Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers in South Dakota (2015)
- Estate Planning in South Dakota (2014)
- "The South Dakota Public Dispute Resolution Procedure and Public Records Act: A Fundamental Change in South Dakota Law," 55 South Dakota Law Review 1 (2010)
- With Honorable Janine M. Kern, "Daubert, Kumho, and Its Impact on South Dakota Jurisprudence: An Update," 49 South Dakota Law Review 217 (2004)
- "The Admissibility of Expert Testimony in South Dakota After Daubert, Kumho, Hofer, and Guthrie," South Dakota Trial Lawyers Barrister (May/June 2004)
- "Daubert, Kumho and the South Dakota Supreme Court's Most Recent Rulings Regarding 'Reliability' and 'Relevancy,'" North Dakota Trial Lawyers Association Pleader, (Summer 2001)
- "U.S. Supreme Court Extends Daubert Ruling in Kumho Tire Co. v. Carmichael," Newsletter of the South Dakota Defense Lawyers Association, (Summer 1999)
- With Honorable Janine M. Kern, "Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals, Inc.: 'Gatekeeping' or Industry 'Safekeeping?'" 43 South Dakota Law Review 566 (1998)
- "The Employee/Independent Contractor Dichotomy in South Dakota for Unemployment and Workers' Compensation Purposes: An Examination and Suggested Analytical Framework," 43 South Dakota Law Review 56 (1998)
- "The Tenuous Tale of the Terrible Termites: The Federal Arbitration Act and the Court's Decision to Interpret Section Two in the Broadest Possible Manner: Allied-Bruce Terminix Companies, Inc. v. Dobson," 41 South Dakota Law Review 131 (1996)
- National School Boards Association - Council of School Attorneys
- Mount Marty College Board of Trustees
- South Dakota Jaycees - Ten Outstanding Young South Dakotans Award
- South Dakota Trial Academy - Graduate
- State Bar Association of South Dakota - Young Lawyer of the Year
- Mount Marty College - Outstanding Young Alum Award