Jake Fischer serves as a key member of Swier Law Firm's Agricultural Law Practice Group and focuses his practice on agricultural issues, including crop insurance disputes, employment law disputes, agricultural litigation, entity selection and general corporate matters, environmental concerns and disputes, governmental regulation, 1031 Exchanges, purchase and sale of agricultural property, and taxation issues. Jake is also the author of the popular books Agricultural Law in South Dakota and Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers in South Dakota and serves on the South Dakota Bar Association's Agricultural Law Committee. Jake has given agricultural law presentations to the South Dakota State Bar Association and agricultural extension offices throughout the state.
In addition to leading the law firm's Agricultural Law Practice Group, Jake maintains a general practice including criminal law, real estate law, business law and estate planning.
Jake graduated cum laude from the University of Minnesota Law School, where he served on the Environmental Law Moot Court and devoted over 100 hours of service to the Minnesota Justice Foundation. Prior to joining Swier Law Firm, Jake worked as a judicial clerk in Minnesota’s Fourth Judicial District, serving Hennepin County. Upon completion of his service as a judicial clerk, Jake moved into a position with The Minnesota Project, where he worked with Minnesota farmers on renewable energy and energy efficiency issues.
Jake grew up on a farm outside of Parkston, South Dakota. He and his wife Robin have two young children, Rosalie and Llewyn. His hobbies include music, the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, and helping on the family farm.
- 5 Tips To A Successful Crop Insurance Claim (2018)
- Three Retirement Fundamentals for Farmers and Ranchers, Prairie Planning Magazine (Winter 2018)
- 5 Tips for the Successor Trustee to Prevent Lawsuits, Prairie Planning Magazine (Summer 2017)
- Estate Planning for Farmers and Ranchers in South Dakota (2016)
- Agricultural Law in South Dakota (2014)
- South Dakota Bar Association - Agricultural Law Committee
- Corsica Development Corporation
- Corsica Commercial Club