Each car accident case is different. However, in South Dakota, the 5 most common causes of automobile accidents are:
1. Distracted Driving. Some common distractions include texting, talking on the phone, using the Internet, eating, and dealing with passengers.
2. Speeding. South Dakota has many different speed limit laws. Anyone driving just one mile per hour over the posted speed limit is speeding. Speeding may not leave a driver enough time to stop or react to driving conditions.
3. Drunk Driving. A driver with a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or higher is considered to be drunk in South Dakota. Drunk drivers, or drivers under the influence of drugs, can cause catastrophic crashes.
4. Tired Driving. Drivers may underestimate how dangerous it is to drive while tired, but sleepy drivers can be as dangerous as distracted and drunk drivers.
5. Aggressive Driving. Aggressive drivers who weave in and out of traffic, tailgate, or make other dangerous moves can lose control or be unable to avoid a serious wreck.