Trucking Accidents In South Dakota - The Rules Of The Road for Drug and Alcohol Testing of Drivers


Who Is Required to Undergo Drug and Alcohol Testing?

Any person who holds a commercial driver's license (CDL) and drives a commercial vehicle on public roads must undergo Department of Transportation (DOT) drug and alcohol testing. Part-time fleet employees with CDLs also fall under this requirement. 

These type of commercial motor vehicles are covered under the law:

  • Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 26,000 pounds
  • Vehicles transporting more than 16 passengers, including the driver
  • Vehicles with placards indicating a cargo of hazardous material

Read More - Trucking Accidents in South Dakota - What Type of Testing is Required of Drivers?