Being in a car accident in South Dakota can be a very frightening experience. You may suddenly be faced with traumatic injuries and your children may have also been hurt in the accident. Within only a matter of seconds, your entire world has been changed and you are likely unsure of where to go, who to talk to or what to do to protect you and your family.
If you have been in a car collision in South Dakota, here are five steps you must take to protect yourself and your family:
- Call 911. Before anything else, you want to get emergency personnel on their way to help assess the situation. If there are injuries sustained in the accident, the faster you can get medical attention, the better. Call the police immediately so that you can get the help you need as quickly as possible.
- Get the facts. You will need evidence for your case. Take pictures of the scene of the crash, get the names and phone numbers of witnesses and the other driver, and gather whatever you can to help when you are ready to file a claim.
- Go to the doctor. Regardless of whether you or your family thinks that they are injured, it is important to go to a doctor right away. In many cases, car crashes can leave people with an adrenaline rush that can mask the feeling of pain. Then, days later you will be met with an unpleasant surprise as you awake in agony. Going to the doctor the day of the accident can help you to ensure that your injuries are well taken care of, and that you receive full compensation for your trauma.
- Speak only with the police. While at the scene of the accident, it is not uncommon for the other driver to speak with you to review how everything happened. It is also not uncommon for their insurance company to want to speak with you. It is important that you politely decline these offers and do not speak about the accident until you are ready.
- Contact a South Dakota car accident lawyer. With a car accident attorney on your side, you get the legal help you need to know how to navigate the complexities of dealing with insurance companies. Contact a lawyer as soon as possible to get help with your claim.