What is "crop-hail" insurance?

Crop Insurance Involving Hail

"Crop-Hail" insurance is only offered by private insurance companies and is excluded from the list of policies of the Federal Crop Insurance Program (FCIP). Producers can apply for crop-hail insurance at any time of the year, even after the crops have been planted. Producers often choose this insurance type because it provides them with the flexibility of receiving indemnity for the parts of their field that was damaged by hail. Different states also offer their own versions of FCIP policies that reflect the needs of farmers in their area.