In South Dakota, here are 5 financial steps you should take prior to your divorce:
1. Open accounts in your name - including your own credit card, checking account, and savings account. You may also want to have your paycheck directly deposited into your checking account.
2. Contact your creditors and ask to stop any future charges by your spouse.
3. Realize that late payments on your joint accounts or credit cards will likely remain your legal obligation as a co-owner.
4. Take a look at your credit report. This can be done simply and inexpensively by using an Internet site.
5. Open an interim account to manage interim expenses between your separation and divorce.