In South Dakota, can I be awarded alimony and support without getting a divorce?

Yes. An action for separate maintenance may be started without requesting a divorce. In these cases, the court has the power to award temporary alimony, lawsuit expenses, and permanent support for a spouse and the children of the parties.

Brooke Swier Schloss
Connect with me
Family Law and Estate Planning attorney helping families across South Dakota plan and protect their loved ones