The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry has these suggestions for talking about divorce with your children:
- Do not keep it a secret or wait until the last minute.
- Tell your children together with your spouse.
- Keep things simple and straightforward.
- Tell them the divorce is not their fault.
- Admit that this will be sad and upsetting for everyone.
- Reassure your children that you both still love them and will always be their parents.
- Do not discuss each other's faults or problems with the children.